Our name, Reconciliation Road Church, comes from 2 Corinthians 5:14-21. The name strongly reflects the biblical themes from this passage that God has impressed on us:
- That God has made reconciliation with Him possible for ALL people through faith in Jesus.
- Those who put their faith in Jesus are transformed, so that they become new creations in Christ.
- Our transformation results in a re-orientation from self-serving to serving Christ.
- Our transformation also results in a transformed view of all people; with us valuing all people.
- God then gives us, His reconciled ones, the ministry and the message of reconciliation. The good news that God wants to reconcile the world to Himself through Jesus.
- God is making His appeal to the world through us as we proclaim the gospel about Jesus imploring people to be reconciled to God through faith in Jesus.
- We are to take this message to all people.
- Reconciliation to God requires reconciliation between ourselves and others thus leading to the healing of divisions and hurt that resulted from the fall and sin.
Why Reconciliation Road Church?
To emphasise; that our reconciliation with God is both instant & a journey that’s never fully complete this side of eternity but one that progresses.
- The concept of road highlights that living for Jesus & His mission results in movement, an adventure, a journey. We are to walk with Jesus through life.
- This is a road, a journey we are all in as Christ followers. Your following Jesus, and my following Jesus creates a new proximity and relationship between people who had previously had no connection or relationship.
- Together as a church God has called us to be His ambassadors who’s message is to invite other people to journey towards faith in God and ultimately to be reconciled to God through faith in Jesus, and therefore to join those on the road of faith.
- In our South African context we know that the Gospel is the only hope for our nation in such desperate need of reconciliation. Only those who have been reconciled to God through Jesus can have a hope of making real progress down the road of reconciliation with one another. We acknowledge that being reconciled to others is a journey that is potentially complex and yet it is a road that God has laid out for us to follow. We believe we are called to be a people & a place of reconciliation.
- Finally the physical road that borders our church property used to be the old dividing line between black and white South Africa in our town. We believe that God has promised that on this property He will bring about true reconciliation between the previously divided races, cultures and classes in our South African context.
Our logo is based on 2 Corinthians 5:14-21 & depicts our Vision Statement in the following ways;
- Jesus is our centre (centre point)
- Many diverse journey’s towards Christ (triangles pointing inwards)
- We are all reconciled to God through Christ (centre point)
- Making reconciliation to one another possible within the safe space of the church (the space inside the square)
- We are called to take the Gospel and advance God’s kingdom together reaching all people (arrows going outwards)